While my voronoi generation still displays some problems, I’ve moved on for the time being to determining land from sea. I’m using a perlin class that I previously created, but it’s really not cluttering the way I had hoped it would. I’m playing around with it, but this is what I have so far.
A while back, my brother told me about a guy in his class who was busy with a random map generator. I started to play around with the idea as well and I took a careful look at different Perlin libraries in order to come up with some random shapes. After coding around for a while, I ended up with some disappointing results. While Perlin allowed me to generate noise that wasn’t completely random, but in which each coordinate had some relation to the coordinates adjacent to it, the results were made little sense to me, despite them looking quite organic. I basically used the noise to determine elevation. Each negative value meant water, each positive value meant land. Using some simple math I could also assign different colours to different depths and altitudes. Looked kind of neat, but took an awful lot of processing power. I was playing around with this on a twelve hour flight from Amsterdam to San Francisco, and my little netbook felt like it would melt through my tray table.
What killed the performance was the sheer amount of data points to calculate and display. I rendered it in HTML, using DIVs, later using an SVG, but it really didn’t matter. The Perlin performance was poor and the amount of data points required to get anything fun was gigantic. I dropped the project for a few months, until I discovered a post on polygonal map generation written by Amit Patel and it really opened my eyes. The organic feel that I was trying to achieve using Perlin could also be achieved using a Voronoi diagram and the amount of actual datapoints would be much less. The relationships between bordering polygons was also built into the concept of the diagram and on top of that, the input needed was relatively small (depending on how many polygons you want to generate); just a bunch of coordinates for the polygon sites.
The next step will be to start figuring out land from water, assigning elevation and creating some sensible colours for the polygon cells. I’ll let my new best friend Amit Patel lead the way in logic; immitation, emulatio, creatio. I don’t quite understand all the logic behind everything yet, but if I take it one step at a time and tenaciously plug away, I’m sure that eventually my brain (made of obsidian, coated in teflon and impervious to the uptake of knowledge!) will eventually make this information his.
Yeah, I’m not really sure what happened over the last week, but we doubled the amount of registered players. And as if that wasn’t enough, the number of actively logged in players probably quintupled. It’s really very exciting and it also puts a nice amount of pressure on my brother and I. We’ve been working on and off for a while now, but it’s always been a bit laissez-faire, without any real sense of urgency. Now, people are equally enthusiastic at the promise of the game as they are dissatisfied that it’s not fully playable yet.
Most people are pretty good about it, and then there are a select few — of course, they have to be the most vocal ones, don’t they? — whose abrasive style rubs me the wrong way. Luckily, I am pretty good at ignoring all the insults and jabs and still manage to concede the point if they have one. (I’m looking at you, ShadowDragon8685.)
Bearclaw posted on Dumpshock that they couldn’t cast an Armor spell, so I decided to try and recreate the problem. Below is what I posted to them.
So I decided to make a spell caster, learn Armor 3 from Mojo Flux and I went to my spells section in my safe house. I cast the spell, got a success on the sorcery test and suffered a little drain. You can see that in the first screenshot.
Then I went to the armor page and I saw that without wearing any armor, I had a ballistic 3 and impact 3. See the second screenshot.
Then I went to the character information page and saw the same on the armor stat and I saw the armor spell among my buffs. See screenshot three.
Then I went to Neon Blight, got the first Ghoul Den mission and went inside. Waited for a ghoul to come and kick my ass and recorded the first attack in the combat log on the info tab. It says I was resisting with my 5 body dice against TN 3. The ghouls have a strength of 6, minus the 3 impact armor the Armor spell gives me, is TN 3. See screenshot four.
I think everything is working. If you see different things, please send some similar screenshots to email@example.com and I’ll get it cleared up as soon as possible.